Wednesday, December 23, 2015

First Day of Winter

Believe it or not but yesterday was the first day of Winter and yes it was 50 degrees. Yes, it's even warmer today with a projected high of 63 degrees. So why is the golf course closed?


The course is completely saturated. The course received just under .75" of rain the past 48 hours, as well as another shot of rain this morning. On top of the rain, the ground has been in between freezing and thawing over the past few weeks.  Albeit temperatures are forecasted to peak into the 60's in the next couple days, significant amounts of rainfall are projected for 5 out of the next 6 days.
Given the current course conditions, we feel that it is in the best interest of the golf course to eliminate traffic on all surfaces to ensure playing conditions are not jeopardized for the up and coming season. Any turf damage that occurs on saturated, slow growing turf is cumulative, not immediate. For example, any ball marks made on the greens in their current state will not heal properly due to the Creeping Bentgrass's slow growth rate. Which in turn makes the damaged ball marks susceptible to Poa Annua filling these voids. We have done an excellent job protecting our greens against this nasty weed and we will continue to do everything in our power to keep the greens a pure stand of Bentgrass. The last thing we want to do is start a battle with the infamous "Po Annua" as Johnny Miller likes to call it on TV                                     

Thanks again for a great year!! We're already looking forward to the 2016 season!!

Happy holidays to everyone & a happy new year!!

Friday, December 4, 2015

Mowing In December

There is always a first time for everything..... and mowing greens in December is one of those moments. In my 10 years at Sagamore, we have never mowed greens this late in the season. Generally speaking, the bentgrass tends to halt growth around the middle to latter part of November. Not the case this year.
 A late season shot of Ammonium Sulfate on the greens timed when the vertical growth has slowed but not subsided, is a key application we made on November 9th. This application enhances spring green up, improves fall, winter, and spring root growth, and enhances the storage of carbohydrates for the winter months.

Fast forward to December 4th and we have decided to put one last cut on the greens (hopefully). The pictures below illustrate the change in appearance from a single cut.

The "mottling" appearance of the greens at this time of year is a common occurrence in the Spring/Fall and is referred to as segregation. The segregation forms on the greens with age and is caused by different bio types of seed. As seed matures from establishment, different bio types of A-1 are established, and thus different bio types change color and grow at different rates, thus giving the greens a mottled appearance. Long story short, the segregation is nothing to worry about.

In closing, the extended 10 day outlook looks very promising for a few extra rounds of golf for the month of December. We will keep the golf course open as long as the weather permits. Thanks again.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

2015 Aerification

I was looking forward to this course update with a completed course aerification. Unfortunately, mother nature had her way yet again which has caused us to postpone the remaining 6 fairways. We hope to reschedule these fairways in the near future but have yet to set a date with our contractor.
 All of the fairways on holes 1-10, & 13 have been aerified, chopped, and swept of the majority of the debris left behind from punching holes. The crew started work in the dark and finished the day in the dark as well. I can't thank my staff enough for all of their hard work!!! The pictures below are a few action shots of the process from yesterday.

The greens aerification went very smoothly. The first step in the process is to topdress greens in front of the aerifier. We do this to allow sand to be pulled into the holes by our Core Collector. Then we aerify each green, pick up the cores, drag/blow sand into the holes, and a light irrigation cycle to relieve the stress of the turf. We still have to add a bit more sand to a few greens but overall we are really happy with how the greens turned out. Hopefully mother nature cooperates now with plenty of sun and fall like temperatures!!! Along with some fertilizer and the greens should heal up in the next couple weeks. Here a few pics from the process.

Another friendly reminder about golf course care. Now that we have aerified greens, they will be very receptive to ball marks. Please do us and the greens a favor in repairing your ball marks!!! Thanks again.

Recent Posts